Friday, 30 September 2011
It turned out well then that in my latest issue of "Delicious" there were calzones. Perfect I thought, something a little different and the best bit is you can stuff them with what ever you want.
I also managed to hit to birds with one stone, as I made this for my girls night dinner as well. I served it with a simple Caprese salad and they loved it!
1 quantity Basic pizza dough
2 large red onions (or 3 small) - thinly sliced
2 tbs balsamic vinegar
500gm baby spinach leaves
1/2 cup kalamatta olives - pitted and halved
4 tsp pizza tomato sauce
120gm soft goats cheese
4 slices of prosciutto (or salami)
1 egg yolk - lightly beaten
1. Make pizza dough following the basic pizza dough recipe.
Preheat oven to 200°C. While the dough is rising place a heavy based fry pan over medium high heat. Add a tbl spoon olive oil and the red onion. Cook until soft. Add the balsamic vinegar. Bring to the boil then reduce the heat to low. Place the lid on and cook for 40 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until caramelised. Season and place in a small bowl.
2. Add another tbl spoon of oil to the fry pan and cook the spinach for 1 minute. Place in a bowl with the olives. Mix to combine.
3. Roll your pizza dough out into 4 small 15cm rounds. Take one round and spread one teaspoon of tomato sauce on one half, in a semi circle shape, leaving a 3 cm border around the edge. Top with a quarter of the caramelised onion, spinach, goats cheese and a slice of prosciutto. Brush the edges with the egg yolk. Fold the dough over to cover the filling and crimp the edges. The best way to do this is to place a finger on the edge of the dough and fold the edge over, kind of like a small twisting motion.
4. Repeat with remaining bases and fillings. Place the calzones on a lightly floured tray.
5. Bake in the oven for 25 minutes or until nice and brown. Serve with a salad or on its own as a tasty lunch.
The fillings to a calzone are only limited by your imagination but here are some yummy ideas:
* Roasted pumpkin, red onion, salami and feta
* Ham and pineapple - Great for kids!
* Spinach and ricotta
* Roasted capsicum, eggplant, zucchini, marinated artichokes, mushrooms and mozzarella.