Friday, 30 March 2012
Beef and rice meatballs
Apparently some kids are a struggle to feed. I say apparently because I've never had that issue, my son is an eating machine!
He eats anything and everything, has since the day he started solids.
Works well for me as choosing something for dinner is never an issue. These beef and rice meatballs are sure to be a crowd pleaser, and may even win over the fussiest toddler.
What kid doesn't love meatballs smothered in tomato sauce? And they will never know these particular ones harbor a bunch of veggies and brown rice!
2 medium brown onions - roughly chopped
3 garlic cloves
2 tbl spoons chopped oregano
2 medium carrots - roughly chopped
1 medium zucchini - roughly chopped
450gm beef mince
1/3 cup grated Parmesan
1 cup cooked microwave brown rice
Pinch ground nutmeg
2 x 400gm can tomatoes
2 tbl spoons tomato sauce
Mashed pumpkin to serve
1. Place the onion, garlic, oregano, carrot and zucchini in the bowl of a food processor. Process until finely chopped. Heat a fry pan over medium heat, spray with oil. Cook the vegetable mix until starting to soften. Remove from the heat and cool for ten minutes.
2. In a large bowl, add the beef mince, cheese, rice, nutmeg and vegetables.
Mix until well combined. Using wet hands roll the mixture into balls.
Place on a plate and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
3. Using the same pan used to cook the vegetables, heat the can tomatoes and tomato sauce until boiling. Reduce heat and simmer until sauce starts to thicken.
4. In a separate fry pan, cook the meatballs in batches until brown on all sides. Transfer meatballs to the sauce and cook for approx 10 minutes or until meatballs are cooked through.
5. Serve meatballs on bed of mashed pumpkin, sprinkle with cheese.