Saturday, 19 May 2012
Veal stuffed Eggplants
Eggplant is not one of my favorite vegetables. Its tolerable but it's not often I'm sitting here thinking 'Oh I could really go some eggplant'
It's actually a really versatile vegetable. It can be made into dip, added to stir fry, stuffed or cut thinly, filled with cheese and rolled.
I tweaked this recipe a bit because the mince mixture seemed dry and lacking to me. This recipe can easily be made vegetarian by replacing mince with rice, lentils or additional vegetables.
2 eggplants - halved lengthways
2 tbl spoons olive oil
2 small brown onion
2 cloves garlic
400g veal mince
1 small red capsicum - finely diced
1 tomato - diced
2 tbl spoons chopped parsley
680g jar tomato passata
1/4 cup breadcrumbs
2 tbl spoons Parmesan - finely grated
1. Pre heat oven to 180°C. Use a teaspoon to scoop out the flesh of the eggplants to form 4 'boats', leaving a 1cm thick border. Place eggplant boats on a baking tray, brush with 1 tbl spoon oil. Bake for 15-20 minutes until eggplants are tender. Finely chop the eggplant flesh and set aside.
2. Meanwhile, heat 1tbl spoon oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic. Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Add mince. Cook, breaking up any lumps, until browned. Add the capsicum, reserved eggplant flesh and tomato. Cook until vegetables have softened, approx 4-5 minutes.
3. Remove pan from the heat. Season with salt and pepper. Stir through parsley.
4. Fill each eggplant half with mince mixture. Pour passata into an oven proof dish. Place eggplant on top. Sprinkle breadcrumbs and cheese over the top of the eggplant. Bake for 25 minutes or until golden.
5. Remove from the oven. Serve with a side of salad or rice.