I know I have gone a little brownie mad at the moment. Shockingly enough there hasn't been a cupcake in my kitchen for weeks now.
This is partly due to moving house. The oven has a hot spot on one side and I just haven't been able to adjust my cooking times and techniques to accommodate for it.
But who needs an excuse to whip up an awesome batch of delicious fudgy brownies anyway. Especially when they star my favourite chocolate bar, the snickers.
I had to deviate away from my perfect brownie recipe this time because I had no cocoa powder. I was a little worried about how they would turn out but I was pretty impressed with the end result. I used dark chocolate but I think that milk chocolate would give these brownies a smoother flavour.
150gm butter - chopped
200gm dark chocolate melts
3/4 cup caster sugar
2 eggs - lightly beaten
1 cup plain flour
1/4 cup self raising flour
4 x 60gm Snickers bars - roughly chopped*
*3 Snickers bars go into the brownie mix, the remaining one is used for presentation
3/4 cup milk chocolate melts
1/2 cup cream
1. Pre heat oven to 180°C. Grease and line a 3cm-deep, 18cm x 28cm (base) slice pan. Allow a 2cm overhang on the ends. This makes removing your brownies from the pan much easier.
2. Melt the butter, chocolate and sugar in a small saucepan over low heat until the sugar has completely dissolved and the mixture has a smooth texture. Set aside to cool for 15 minutes. Stir in the eggs.
3. Combine the plain flour and self raising flour in a large mixing bowl. Slowly pour in the chocolate mixture, making sure to combine it well. Add 3 of the chopped snickers bars and mix well. Pour into the prepared tray and bake for 25-30 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out with some crumbs clinging. Cool in the pan.
4. Meanwhile, combine the milk chocolate melts and cream in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 2 minutes, stirring ever 30 seconds, until chocolate is melted. Stir well. Set aside to cool until mixture reaches a spreadable consistency.
5. Remove the brownie from the pan. Spread the top with chocolate ganache. Cut into 16 squares, top each brownie with a piece of snickers. Serve.